From: Edward Forgács
Sent: Tuesday, 5 May 2009 2:01 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: RE: [WiX-users] Major Upgrade: some files are randomly not installed

I am experiencing the exact same behaviour with one of our installation
packages. Like you, we only do major upgrades.

Out of 17 files, 4 are getting missed on a major upgrade. I'm not convinced
that it has anything to do with versions, as almost every DLL has a different
version in the newer version, including one of the problematic files (and most
of the ones that work too).

We are virtually at the point of shipping to a customer without upgrade
capabilities. Did you end up solving the missing files issue?

I am wondering if it's possible that this was caused by the current version of
the product accidentally being shipped without the Checksum="yes" attribute on
the DLLs and EXEs? However, adding that into the upgrade hasn't fixed anything,
it's still deletes the exact same files on uninstall, and doesn't put them back.

It is incredibly frustrating that this could ever happen - the installation
ends up in a completely corrupted state, without any errors whatsoever during
the upgrade.

Regards,
Edward