Sorry. That goes over my head! Hopefully someone else can help you on
this.

--Quinton

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Dai [mailto:ryan...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2009 8:22 PM
To: Wix
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to register file type with wix 3 RTM?

Hi Quinton,

Actually our product is a add-in package of VS. And we just want to
register a file type. In other word, there is no exe or file can be used
to open file of that type. It actually works before even we don't put
actual FileId:). So do you think we should register that file type to
devenv.exe of VS?

> Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 09:11:27 -0700
> From: quint...@deltacompsys.com
> To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to register file type with wix 3 RTM?
>
> Ryan,
>
> Where do you have a file with @Id of "FileId" defined? I register an
> extension as shown:
>
> <Component Id="ExeFile" Guid="...">
> <File Id="FileId" Source=" MyApp.exe" />
> <ProgId Advertise="no" Id="MyApp.MyExt.1" Icon="FileId" IconIndex="1"
> Description="MyApp File" >
> <Extension Id="myext" ContentType="application/xml">
> <Verb Id="open" TargetFile="FileId" Argument="&quot;%1&quot;" />
> </Extension>
> </ProgId>
> </Component>
>
> Notice that I have the file and the extension both in the same
> component. Perhaps this isn't required, but it makes sense to me since
> they must go together for my application, but perhaps other apps want
> the extension to be optional.
>
> Notice that both ProgId/@Icon and Verb/@TargetFile refer to File/@Id,
> which WiX 3.0 will convert to "[#FileId]" in the MSI file, which will
be
> the full installed filepath in the registry after installation.
> [#FileId] is nearly equivalent to [!FileId], except the latter uses
> short filenames. Notice that WiX includes the double-quotes around the
> [#FileId] to avoid problems with spaces in the path.
>
> There are some warnings in the MSI documentation about [#FileId] only
> being resolved if the component installing the file has already been
> installed, so perhaps that has something to do with your problem.
>
> --Quinton

TargetFile="FileId".
> So in wix 2, it works if we specify:
>
> <Component Id="myfile"
> Guid="8E4C47A3-4CDB-4c2c-A783-0B21747DFC3C">
> <ProgId Id="myfileid">
> <Extension Id="my" ContentType="application/text">
> <Verb Id="open" Command="open"
> Target="[!FileId]" Argument="&quot;%1&quot;" />
> </Extension>
> </ProgId>
> </Component>
>
> I think our orginal intention is just to register a file type for an
> editor of our Visual Studio package. So it seems like there is no
> something about "the target file to be executed for the verb".
>
> > Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 07:51:20 -0400
> > From: b...@joyofsetup.com
> > To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to register file type with wix 3 RTM?
> >
> > Ryan Dai wrote:
> > > error CNDL0035 : The Verb/@Sequence attribute cannot
> > > be specified when attribute Advertise is present with value 'no'.
> > >

> > If you have only a single Verb element, just omit the Sequence
> > attribute. WiX v2 accepted the Sequence attribute when
Advertised="no"

> > but did nothing with it; WiX v3 is more strict and doesn't just
throw
> > away what you give it.
> >
> > --
> > sig://boB
> > http://joyofsetup.com/

> ------
> > Enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge
> > This is your chance to win up to $100,000 in prizes! For a limited
> time,
> > vendors submitting new applications to BlackBerry App World(TM) will
> have
> > the opportunity to enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge. See
full
> prize
> > details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/Challenge

> Windows Live(tm): Keep your life in sync. Check it out!

> ------
> This is your chance to win up to $100,000 in prizes! For a limited
time,

> vendors submitting new applications to BlackBerry App World(TM) will
> have
> the opportunity to enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge. See full
> prize
> details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/Challenge

------
> This is your chance to win up to $100,000 in prizes! For a limited
time,
> vendors submitting new applications to BlackBerry App World(TM) will
have
> the opportunity to enter the BlackBerry Developer Challenge. See full
prize
> details at: http://p.sf.net/sfu/Challenge

More than messages-check out the rest of the Windows Live(tm).
------