I am new to writing set up packages in general and I am looking for a
way to have a single file installer that will work as both a clean
install and an update to previous installs.  The catch is that in update
mode I need to change an existing component, add a new component, and
leave a third in place.

Example:  We have an installer for a framework library.  One component
drops a copy of the DLL into the GAC.  Another component writes the DLL,
Debug and Documentation files to an install directory and adds a
registry entry telling Visual Studio where to find them.  Now when it is
time to update we want to add the new version to the GAC (new component)
without removing the original version(leave existing component), but
overwrite the files VS uses with the new version (update existing
component).

The approach seems to have gotten me closest is to change the ID of the
GAC component with each revision while leaving the ID of the VS
component static. However to get this to work I am also having to change
the product ID which results in each update having its own entry in
add/remove programs.

Am I on the right track with this?  Is there a simple way to get this
type of behavior without having to change the product ID?

Mike