From: Dan Vasilov [mailto:d...@rms.ro]
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2009 09:46
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: [WiX-users] Conditionally disable PrepareDlg and UserExitDlg

Hello,

  We would like to conditionally disable the PrepareDlg and UserExitDlg.
The issue is the setup checks a set of conditions before displaying the UI.
Currently it is displaying the error message over the PrepareDlg. If we do
not refer the PrepareDlg in the UI, this dialog is not displayed, however
the UserExitDlg dialog will be displayed.
 We've tried modifying the InstallUISequence like this:

  <InstallUISequence>
    <FindRelatedProducts Before="LaunchConditions" />
    <Show Dialog="PrepareDlg" Before="AppSearch" Overridable="no">
      <![CDATA[(LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPEXE) AND (SQLINSTANCENAME)]]>
    </Show>
    <Show Dialog="UserExit" OnExit="cancel" Overridable="no">
      <![CDATA[(LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPEXE) AND (SQLINSTANCENAME)]]>
    </Show>

However the toolset raises an error about the dialogs being defined twice.
If we set the Overridable attribute to "yes", the dialogs are still
displayed.

  We've also copied the dialogs in our project; the files UserExitDlg.wxs
and PrepareDlg.wxs in the wix source code directory contains some entries
like

            <InstallUISequence>
                <Show Dialog="PrepareDlg" Before="AppSearch" />
            </InstallUISequence>

            <InstallUISequence>
                <Show Dialog="UserExit" OnExit="cancel" />
            </InstallUISequence>

            <AdminUISequence>
                <Show Dialog="UserExit" OnExit="cancel" />
            </AdminUISequence>

        We've removed these entries, however the toolset still reports the
dialogs are defined twice.

If we do not reference PrepareDlg and UserExitDlg and we use instead our
custom dialogs like below (we've renamed the dialogs definitions copied from
the wix source code):

    <Show Dialog="PrepareDlgEx" Before="AppSearch" Overridable="no">
      <![CDATA[(LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPEXE) AND (SQLINSTANCENAME)]]>
    </Show>
    <Show Dialog="UserExitEx" OnExit="cancel" Overridable="no">
      <![CDATA[(LAUNCHEDFROMSETUPEXE) AND (SQLINSTANCENAME)]]>
    </Show>

the original dialogs are still displayed.

Can you provide a hint where to look further?

Dan