Blair thanks but I have to confess to not understanding that explanation at
all. What would be such a case that an XP or Vista user saw a short name
instead of the NTFS name? - Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Blair [mailto:os...@live.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 9:22 AM
To: 'General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.'
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Are shortcut names even useful anymore?

Shortcut names are exposed to users on XP systems and may be exposed to them
on Vista systems, depending on whether they have had a native resource dll
string table entry assigned to them. The windows shell which is responsible
for showing the start menu is either all or mostly native code, the .net
version doesn't matter (just the underlying platform). The disk format
doesn't matter either.