From: Chad Petersen [mailto:chad.peter...@harlandfs.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2009 1:44 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Are shortcut names even useful anymore?

An 8.3 filename (also called a short filename or SFN) is a filename
convention used by old versions of DOS and versions of Microsoft Windows
prior to Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51. It is also used in modern
Microsoft operating systems as an alternate filename to the long
filename for compatibility with legacy programs.