Blair,

Yes I was speaking of the installer's command line parameter. I have been
reading over some blogs and examples and I want to make sure I have this
correct.

I can use the session to access the command line parameters and then assign
those to Wix in this kind of structure

<File Id="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" Name="app name.exe.config"
LongName="app name.exe.config" src="app name.exe.config " Vital="yes"
DiskId="1"/>

<XmlFile Id="configparameters" Action="setValue"
ElementPath="/configuration/userSettings/a...@key='project']/@value"
File="[INSTALLLOCATION]\app name.exe.config " Value="[PROJECT]"/>

.If I understand this right, the command line parameter would look like.

setup.msi PROJECT=MyProject

.and the msi will make a change to the project property value app
name.exe.config file.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<configuration>

    <configSections>

        <sectionGroup name="userSettings"
type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" >

            <section name="app_name.Properties.Settings"
type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz"
allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />

        </sectionGroup>

    </configSections>

    <userSettings>

        <app_name.Properties.Settings>

            <setting name="project" serializeAs="String">

              <value>MyProject</value>

            </setting>

        </ app_name.Properties.Settings>

    </userSettings>

</configuration>

I read in one blog that stated an msi file only has access to things like
the command line durring a non-defered phase and it can only modify files
during a defered phase.did I miss something?

All the Best,

Chris