Hi all:

I recently opened a support incident with Microsoft regarding major upgrades
of packages containing the vc90 runtime merge modules.  Links here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=905238 and here:
http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2008/05/more-problems-with-ms-vc-8-sp1-merge.htmland
here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/02/08/assemblies-may-be-missing-from-the-gac-or-winsxs-cache-after-an-msi-major-upgrade.aspxand
plenty of other places too.

I know there has been plenty of talk on this list over the years about this
bug.  Just a few weeks ago Microsoft released a hotfix for Windows Installer
that fixes this problem and a couple of other issues.  A lot of other
customers must have complained about it.  Unfortunately, my contact tells me
there aren't plans yet to release it as a Windows update.  Hopefully that
will change.  So, in case you guys don't know about it yet, the link for the
hotfix is here: *http://support.microsoft.com/?id=972397.
*
Dana