Hello WiX community,

This question is primarily addressed to the "patching gurus". :)

I have the following requirement. During the patch installation I should
detect if the files to be patched were modified by the user, and if yes,
install the new versions of those files side-by-side, disregarding the
rule defined in the REINSTALLMODE property. Let me explain in detail.

Initially (1.0.0) two files are installed:
   FileA.txt
   FileB.dll

The user customized FileA.txt.
The patch (1.0.0 rev. X) is to update both files.

So, the desired result is:
   FileA.txt.patched  (the one installed by the patch)
   FileA.txt          (the initial one customized by user)
   FileB.dll          (the new one installed by the patch)

Is this a good practice? Are there any arguments against this concept?
And the main question: what's the most correct way to accomplish this?

Looking forward to any suggestions.
Thank you!

-- Yan