Hey Tom,

I have the option for users to choose the installation directory from a
custom InstallDirDlg.wxs file, basically just copied with a different name,
call it MyInstallDirDlg.wxs.  The user can either click a button and browse
or type the location manually into an edit field.  The value gets set to a
property defined in my main installer .wxs file as WIXUI_INSTALLDIR.  Then
in a custom MyWixUI_InstallDir.wxs, I have it publish the SetTargetPath
event to value [WIXUI_INSTALLDIR].

By default the directory structure is put in as follows:

<Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
  <Directory Id='ProductFolder' Name='Product'>
    <Directory Id="PRODUCTVERSIONFOLDER" Name="Version">
      <RegistryKey Root="HKCU"
Key="Software\IWARS\ResearchAndDevelopment\Uninstall">
        <RegistryValue Value="0" Type="string" KeyPath="yes" />
      </RegistryKey>
      ... components below ...
    </Directory>
  </Directory>