On 1/8/2010 12:53 PM, Wilson, Phil wrote:
> It's like saying you don't support FilesInUse dialogs, requests for the
> original install source, reboots at the end of the install and other things
> that Windows will do whether you want to support them or not.

That's key: You can't disable or prevent repair; you can only cancel it
once it's been invoked.

I support a product that has a custom action like that and I had an IT
manager of a well-known company ready to prevent the deployment of
30,000+ seats because:

1. We had a component-rules violation from a beta-to-beta upgrade.
2. The violation triggered a repair from an unadvertised shortcut via a
COM registration.

The reason we don't want to support repair?

1. Because the many custom actions we have might not support it.
2. Because nobody wants to take the time to verify whether the custom
actions support it.
3. Because nobody in management cares about it -- until sales are lost
because of it.<g>

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/