Our installer supports multiple languages. We are using the trick from
here(http://jpassing.com/2007/06/14/authoring-multi-language-msi-packages/).
Basically these are what we do:
- We compile the wxs files
- then link with different languages(we support en-US, es-ES, fr-FR, de-DE,
pt-BR and it-IT)
- then we get the transforms for each language
- then we stuff the transforms in the MSI and we associate the language with
the language ID
- we also have a bootstrapper which provides a way the end user can choose the
installing language, then internally, the bootstrapper will trigger the MSI by
using the right transform
- We even tested this case which works: in fr-FR(French) language environment,
select the it-IT(Italian) language. Don't ask me why we tested this case, we
just want to verify it works.

This worked quite well until recently. One of our Denmark users reported this
problem:
- She's using English version of XP. She goes to [Control Panel]->[Regional and
Language Options] and change the 'Standards and formats' to be 'Danish'.
- Then she installed the build by selecting the English language.
- She got "Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths
are valid." error. Actually, it doesn't have to be English, by choosing any
other languages, the installation will be failed for this same error.

Yes, we have 'Codepage="1252"' in the wxl files.

I then made some tests:
1. If I just build the English version, it works. There is no error.
2. If I just build any of other languages, it works as well. Say, the fr-FR one
works in Danish environment.
3. But if I build the multiple language MSI, it fails. I mean, if I just run it
"msiexec.exe /i myinstaller.msi", then I got the "Error applying transforms"
error. If I run it "msiexec.exe /i myinstaller.msi TRANSFORMS=":1046.mst"", I
got the same error as well.
4. I also randomly tested it in some other "Standards and formats". Some
worked, some not. For example, it failed in Bulgarian environment as well.

Here I have a few questions:
1. What is the problem here? And how to fix it?
2. If the it-IT transform works in fr-FR environment, how come es-ES(Spanish)
doesn't work in Danish environment? I know we don't have Danish in our
supported language list. But at least the English one should work in Danish
format, correct? But it doesn't. Do you know why?
3. I understand by not giving the transform("msiexec.exe /i myinstaller.msi")
the system will try to automatically 'match' the current language. I also know
a way to force it to use certain language("msiexec.exe /i myinstaller.exe
TRANSFORMS=:1046.mst"). Is there a way to force to use English? I tried
"msiexec.exe /i myinstaller.exe TRANSFORMS=:1033.mst" - but it doesn't work.

This issue is quite important for us.

Thanks in advance,
/Brian

Ask a question on any topic and get answers from real people. Go to Yahoo!
Answers and share what you know at http://ca.answers.yahoo.com