I was getting the same error following an upgrade from Visual Studio
2008 / Wix 3 to Visual Studio 2010 / Wix 3.5.1602.0.

It seems that, when upgrading, the value of <WixToolPath> in the
wixproj file is not changed from v3 to v3.5.

The line "<Import
Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WiX\v3.5\Wix.targets" />"
is also not changed correctly.