From: Uma Harano [mailto:uhar...@esri.com]
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 1:09 PM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] Create new components in a patch

Hi,
I am having problems with creating new registry key components in a patch.

SP1 (version 1.1) msp creates a new registry component (SP1RegKey) in
Feature A and it targets the base version (1.0). Hot Fix 1 is released after
SP1 and it creates another new registry component (HotFixRegKey) to the same
Feature A. Hot Fix 1 targets Base version (v1.0) and v1.1.

User installs the version 1.0 and then applies the Hot Fix 1 msp. When the
user then applies SP1 over this, the state of Feature A changes to
"advertise" since the SP1 does not contain the component HotFixRegKey.  Is
there any way I can prevent this from happening? Log snippet below:

(STATE)       MSI (s) (C4:94) [16:07:20:951]: Feature: FeatureA; Installed:
Advertise; Request: Reinstall; Action: Reinstall

Thanks!
Uma Harano