>> 2) Currently when I upgrade from one version to the next I get a popup
>> from the Restart Manager asking to restart the programs that use my DLL.
>> That's good. But during uninstall I only get a simple message box saying
>> "Some files are in use, you should reboot afterwards". I want to use the
>> Restart Manager in all cases (even during "Change" when the offending
>> feature is being uninstalled).
>>
> 2 - No idea. Never used Restart Manager as it's only supported in
> Windows Installer 4.0 and later. Are you using Util:CloseApplication
> (http://wix.sourceforge.net/manual-wix3/util_xsd_closeapplication.htm)
> or relying on Windows Installer alone?

I don't use Util:CloseApplication. The package is a shell extension, so the
processes that need to be restarted are Explorer.exe and any other process that
loads the shell extension.

I think I have an idea what's happening: It says here
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370379.aspx) that the
MsiRMFilesInUse dialog only shows up if "The Full UI user interface level is
used.". When uninstalling from the Control Panel the interface level is "basic"
or "reduced". Is there a way around that limitation? Like force "full UI" when
running from the Control Panel?