From: Lukas Haase [mailto:lukasha...@gmx.at]
Sent: Thursday, July 22, 2010 1:37 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Does the msi-filename matter?

Thank you everybody for the discussion!

The result is clear to me: I won't use minor- and small updates.

One question concerning "Best practice" left for the deployment.

In fact my application consists of:
- "Viewer" (EXE, DLL, CHM)
- "Database" (dat-file (80MB), bunch of PDFs)
- License1.RTF, License2.RTF

Now I ship my program in various flavours:

1.) Corporate edition with License1.RTF
2.) Private edition: Everything the same except License2.RTF
3.) (private) Network edition: Same as (2) except the name
4.) Demo version: Modified Database (30MB instead of 80MB)

And finally each (1)-(3) get updates every few months.

At first I thought with WiX it would be possible to just create one installer
for all of those.

But according to the discussions so far, am I right to just generate separate
projects (wxs files) for each of the cases above?

And according to the updates: Each of the (1), (2), (3), (4) shares the same
UpgradeCode, doesn't it?

Regards,
   Luke

Am 22.07.2010 05:28, schrieb Christopher Painter:
> I wrote thatI had read several blog posts over the years and cited one
> of them as Vagmi and couldn't recall who the others were.  I didn't
> say any of them were from you.  In fact, I recall you writing a post
> about why WiX uses Major Upgrades and I referred to that as
> vindication; evidence that we have shared beliefs.
>
> BTW, I could ask you the same question considering your still unapologetic
>   personal attack on me several years ago.   I still believe that if we ever
> met
> in real life we'd hit it really well.  I for one sure wish you could
> spend some time in Austin seeing the work I've done combining WiX with
> InstallShield.
>
> Christopher Painter, Author of Deployment Engineering Blog Have a hot
> tip, know a secret or read a really good thread that deserves
> attention? E-Mail Me

>>> style)