I did find another example in our old wix code in a different merge module.  It
uses the same syntax as before for the include file(s) but there's a slight
twist:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Wix xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2003/01/wi";>
  <Module Id="ForumsAspModule" Guid=" ????????-????-????-????-????????????"
Language="1033" Version="1.0.0.0">
    <Package Id=" ????????-????-????-????-????????????" Description="Files in
/ASP" Comments="Files in /ASP" Manufacturer="Prospero Technologies"
InstallerVersion="200" Compressed="yes" />
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
                <?include ForumsAsp.wxi ?>
                <Directory Id="dcard" Name="dcard">
                        <?include ForumsAspDcard.wxi ?>
                </Directory>
    </Directory>
  </Module>
</Wix>

The first <?include?> file has only subdirectories in it.  The 2nd one, like my
original problem has root files and subdirs - but wrapping it in an explicit
subdirectory seems to avoid the problem.

So it looks like it's only a problem to include
<Component Id="xxx" Guid="">
        <File.../>
</Component>

Directly under
    <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">

        I did make sure that the msi wix file did actually have a <Merge> and
<MergeRef> for the modules being produced...

Thanks
Mark