Perhaps this question has been answered before, but I couldn't find
anything in the wix-users archive.

I found a problem where when we do a major update when a component in
the newer version has a key file with an older version than the version
its updating. The problem is that the component gets rejected because "a
higher versioned keyfile exists", but then gets uninstalled by the major
update, so in the end no version of the component exists. This behavior
seems incorrect, since my application is the only one that uses this
component (although perhaps Windows Installer can't know that).

Here are some specifics to clarify:

1. The installer has a component {E1E586EE-69CE-43B1-8707-01537674AABD}
with a keyfile of ftcserco.dll. In the previous release, this DLL was
version 1.2. In the new release, this DLL had to be reverted back to
1.1.

2. When running the update for our product I get the following entry in
the MSI log during the CostFinalize step:

MSI (c) (0C:F0) [09:05:34:528]: Disallowing installation of component:
{E1E586EE-69CE-43B1-8707-01537674AABD} since the same component with
higher versioned keyfile exists

What is the proper way to work around this? I'm thinking of just
changing the component ID.

Quinton Tormanen

Software Engineer

Delta Computer Systems, Inc.