Hi All,

My installer consists of dll library that is being used by several
applications and when we update this dll on Windows 2008, I noted that
Restart manager kicks in and restarts those apps that use our dll.
However, we would like to disable this behavior and I found that I can
probably do this using Restart manager apis but I would like to ask
some questions to clarify my understanding on this.

1. Can I use just set MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL property instead of
calling Restart manager apis because Restart manager is only avaiable
Vista and later windows but I do not want to create a separate
installer depending on windows version.

2. If I can use MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL property, I read that Disable
means it will use FileInUse but most of the time our update is done
without human interaction and thus, we run the updates with
"REINSTALL=MainProgram REINSTALLMODE=vo /norestart" option. So is it
fine not to worry about FileInUse case if I can control Restart
manager with MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL property?

3. If I cannot use MSIRESTARTMANAGERCONTROL, am I correct to use
RmAddFilter to control? I can't predict which apps use my dll in
certain case so I am so certain how to provide the string value for
RmAddFilter? Is there any other way to achieve this?

Thank you very much in advance.
Have a great day!

YEH