To be honest I'd like this approach more as well (InstallShield e.g.
does it and so would better fit into the Christopher Painter approach
to incorporate IS bootstrapper + WiX MSI packages). But for now I
didn't find a solution except renaming all the transforms.

Figuring out how to handle the CultureGroup cost me some time and, as
I'm not soo deep in MSBuild targets, figuring out how to get the LCIDs
(even if it's possible ?) would cost me additional time which is
surely better invested in just renaming the files which is a 5 minute
job :-)