I have faced this problem sometime back and I had tried several approaches
based on what others had suggested. I will enumerate them here but I was not
successful in solving this (Perhaps I was committing other errors).

1. Simulate installshield's 'always Overwrite' attribute. You can try
giving  this file a dummy version in the File table. Edit the msi with ORCA
or do it with a postbuild jscript manipulation.

A file copy rule here is that if you have a versioned file trying to
overwrite an unversioned one, this will always overwrite. Reverse case will
never work.

2. Try what they call a companion file rule.
Here,  bundle this unversioned file along with another versioned file (like
a dll or executable etc, which can have a version resource unlike text files
which cannot).

Drawback here is that it breaks the component rule that each file should
have its own component.
If you break component rules the installer's ability to repair the install
is impaired.

3. Try to have a registry entry as a key file, for the  unversioned file
component that you are trying to copy.

4. Another approach that I tried without success: I wrote a DTF custom
action that would adjust the installed file's creation and modification
times and set them to be same.  I scheduled it before InstallFiles.

In my case, I was able to completely circumvent the situation where I had to
copy the unversioned file.
I scheduled RemoveExistingProducts early so overwriting the unversioned file
became a non-issue.

Lastly, In my case, some folks had suggested using REINSTALLMODE=amus. This
is definitely something you should not do. This can cause many undesired
effects. Chief one being, in some cases you could end up downgrading system
files. Your app may work but others would start failing.

Finally, if you are able to solve this problem please share it with us.
Having struggled with this for some time I definitely would like to know.

Good luck!

Umesh

Umesh