Thank you, that got me pointed in the right direction.  For anyone running into
this issue or a similar one in the future, here is the detailed solution.  It
is not limited to HTA applications.

I needed to run "C:\Windows\System32\mshta.exe C:\<path>\rbs.Configure.hta"
when the install completed and the user checked the  "Launch <productname>"
checkbox.

To do this I needed "Custom Action Type 34" which calls an executable that
already exists on the target system AND is not installed with the application
during the current session.  A good explanation can be found in Alex Shevchuk's
"From MSI to WiX, Part 5, Custom Actions: Introduction."

Here are the relevant excerpts from my WSX file:

<File Id='RSWBConfigToolFile' Name='rbs.Configure.hta' DiskId='1'
Source='SourceDir\rbs.Configure.hta' KeyPath='yes'>

<CustomAction Id='LaunchFile'
        Directory="INSTALLDIR"
        ExeCommand='[SystemFolder]mshta.exe [#RSWBConfigToolFile]'
        Return="asyncNoWait" />

<Dialog Id="ExitDlg" Width="370" Height="270" Title="[ProductName] [Setup]"
NoMinimize="yes">
        <Control Id="Finish" Type="PushButton" X="236" Y="243" Width="56"
Height="17" Default="yes" Cancel="yes" Text="[ButtonText_Finish]">
                <Publish Event="EndDialog" Value="Return">1</Publish>
                <Publish Event='DoAction' Value='LaunchFile'>(NOT Installed)
AND (LAUNCHPRODUCT = 1)</Publish>
        </Control>
        <Control Id="Launch" Type="CheckBox" X="135" Y="120" Width="150"
Height="17" Property='LAUNCHPRODUCT' CheckBoxValue='1'>
                <Text>Launch [ProductName]</Text>
        </Control>
</Dialog>