I agree this is very much a .NET issue rather than WiX.

Check out "How the Runtime Locates Assemblies",
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/yx7xezcf

Pay particular attention to the probing section, "Step 4: Locating the Assembly
through Codebases or Probing", http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/15hyw9x3

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail