From: Christopher Painter [mailto:chr...@deploymentengineering.com]
Sent: 16 September 2011 07:33
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.;
wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] How to detect a x64 SQL Server with a x32 wix
setup

Maybe I'm missing something but I get nervous checking the registry to
find
out something about a sql server instance.  Perhaps the server isn't
even
on the machine I'm installing to.   I've been known to put connection
dialogs in an installer just to validate a connection and write settings

out to an app.config.

So I do an executescalar query to check the Edition server property and
see
if it contains the text "64-bit"

Maybe I'm missing something though.