> Hi,
>
> I have previously determined if a local SQL server instance is installed
> by enumerating the REG_MULTI_SZ value
> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\InstalledInstances
>
> Beyond that any further SQL instance specific setup/checking I have
> performed thru WMI. This approach has worked for both 32 or 64-bit SQL
> server editions. Do you specifically need to know the edition or not
> care?
>
> Regards,
> Rob.

Hi,

I wrote a CA for handling this, please check out
http://madbutcher.dyndns.org/snippets/SQLMsiCA

If you browse to the code you'll understand what problems you will encounter if
you want to build your own CS :) There are some more issues that 32/64 bits if
you are on a network with SQL2000 and SQL2005/2008/2010 combinations,
especially when one ore more SQL2000 instances are hidden. About the last one
even Microsoft hasn't got an answer (scan the MSDN forum for it if you're
interested in the problems)

Best regards,

Albert van Peppen
Senior System Engineer