From: Peter Shirtcliffe [mailto:pshirtcli...@sdl.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 11:45 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Dealing with ICE48 warning

I've just looked back at your original post which is how to avoid ICE48
errors. The ICE48 error is issued because ...

ICE48 checks for directories that are hard-coded to local paths in the
Property table.
(From
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa368977%28v=vs.85%29
.aspx)

ICE48 is objecting to the use of C:\OurPath\

TARGETDIR is by default set to the root of the drive with the most free space
(I think). Some of the other components, probably in the merge modules, might
have directory paths rooted under a well known directory property like
ProgramFilesFolder which overrides the TARGETDIR, even though they appear
underneath TARGETDIR.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix it to work exactly how you have it currently
but I can give some info that might help.

The usual pattern for having a retargetable installation is to set up the
default in the directory elements and then make the installation directory a
public directory property, in this case, "INSTALLDIR".

   <Directory Id="TARGETDIR" Name="SourceDir">
        <Directory Id="ProgramFilesFolder">
        <Directory Id="CompanyDir" Name="IniTech">
          <Directory Id="INSTALLDIR" Name="Product v1">
                        ..components...
Then you can set the value of INSTALLDIR (or whatever you call it) to some
other value on the command line or leave it to get the default.

Note that the built-in directory property ProgramFilesFolder will override
whatever TARGETDIR is set to unless youre performing an admin installation.
If INSTALLDIR is defined as an absolute path, that will in turn override
[ProgramFilesFolder]\InitTech.

You might be able to get this to work with TARGETDIR but since Windows
Installer itself will set the value of it, it's easier to define your own
property and use that: in this case INSTALLDIR.