Last time I looked at the WiX .targets files I noticed that they create an
InstallerPlatform property that is passed to candle. The InstallerPlatform
property can be explicitly set in your .wixproj. When it is not explicitly set,
the WiX .targets files use the Platform property to determine what the value of
InstallerPlatform should be. I have found there is no need to specify
Package/@Platform if you directly or indirectly set InstallerPlatform. I
personally set Platform to be what I expect and let the WiX .targets files
automatically set InstallerPlatform for me.

If you want to build _one_ .wixproj as 32-bit _and_ 64-bit, then you'll need
two Platform variants in your .wixproj: x86 and x64. The easiest way to
accomplish this is to let Visual Studio do it for you. WiX will automatically
create the x86 Platform when you create the project. If you have Visual Studio
create the new x64 Platform as a copy of x86 you'll be good to go. Note that
you'll need to build the project twice specifying the Platform to build in each
case.

If instead you have _one_ .wixproj that will always build as 32-bit and a
_second_ .wixproj that will always build as 64-bit, then you just want to do a
search/replace operation on the second .wixproj. Search for x86 and replace it
with x64 and you are done.

If the general guidelines above do not apply to your build, then please explain
what your build intent is in more detail and I'll try to help you configure
your projects accordingly.

FYI: The error you reported is saying that the schema used to validate the .wxs
XML says that you cannot use preprocessor variables as a value for
Package/@Platform. I don’t know whether that is intentional or not.

Edwin G. Castro
Software Developer - Staff
Digital Channels
Fiserv
Office: 503-746-0643
Fax: 503-617-0291
www.fiserv.com
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail