Good points, John.  I also follow(ed) that philosophy.  When it comes to
immediate actions, there are lots of considerations that I did not mention.
 The immediate action is a great place to put checks in for situations
where the deferred action will always fail (like if deploying a DB but the
connection string is invalid) - and fail in the immediate action when
possible/predictable.  Also, you need to make sure your disk space costing
is also correct in your immediate action (Add to ReserveCost table),
especially if you are unpacking something in the deferred action.  There is
a huge list of other things along those lines you could/should do in
immediate actions.

That said, it is unavoidable in many cases to have 'simple' deferred
actions, especially when doing non-trivial things - like editing an XML
file and all the testing that goes along with that - with and without
schemas and namespaces, etc. You may still need to be able to unit test
those as well, and that is outside the scope of what Lux is for, especially
when the CA to MSI API is so limited.  I wanted to present the answer that
he may need to test custom actions both with and without Lux...

Good discussion, though.  It brings back some fond (and not so fond)
memories.

Steve