From: Peter Shirtcliffe [mailto:pshirtcli...@sdl.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 8:56 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Assistance with creating a patch

How you build is up to you. As long as the MSIs that come out of the build
contain the correct files, then it's a valid method. From your description,
it's not clear if you're building the MSI before or after you change the file
in the first ads_install directory, which might be where you're going wrong.

You should validate that your MSIs have built properly and are correct by
performing a minor upgrade using the 2 MSIs. If that fails, examine each one
with Orca to check that the file table entries are what you expect.

Look in the wixmst: you should be able to find your PDF file's name. If it's
in the wixmst, then pyro will bring it into the patch if a binary diff of the
2 versions shows that they differ.

You've only posted the wix source for the release version. Did you remember
to change the product version (and retain the product code) in the second
installer's source code ?