You'd have to spin of a separate process that can elevate. We've talked
about adding somethig like this to Burn for IIS because they made a huge
API blunder and required read operations to be elevated. <sigh/>

Of course, that thing hasn't been implemented yet. Maybe you'd like to
contribute it?

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Henning Krause <m...@henningkrause.eu>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on an installer which creates a virtual directory in IIS. The
> installer has a managed bootstrapper application (Burn) and lets the user
> select the website to which install the virtual application to.
>
> For the selection process, I enumerate all installed websites on the local
> IIS using the Managed API for IIS. However, it seems that even reading the
> current IIS configuration required elevation. So it would seem the entire
> Bootstrapper has to be elevated, which has some smell IMHO.
>
> What is the best practice in this scenario?
>
> Kind regards,
> Henning Krause

virtually,

   Rob Mensching