Thanks Brian I was able to set the variable in the CS code.

Now, can I use the variable like the following:

<? if $(my_wixvariable) ?>
   <MSIPROPERTY ...  />
<? endif ?>

or it would have to be how I mentioned before:

<MSIPackage ... >
  MSIPROPERTY Name = "MSI property name" Value = "$my_wixvariable"/>
</MSIPackage>

Thanks