I have not tried this but I would have thought you would need to have different
keys for SP1 and SP2 to achieve this.

Neil

-----Original Message-----
From: Sunny Li [mailto:sunnie...@gmail.com]
Sent: 28 November 2012 21:50
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: [WiX-users] ExePackage Dependency versioning

Hi there,

I've been looking at the DepdencyExtensions in wix3.6 and was planning to use
that to prevent SQL Server from being uninstalled when I upgrade my bundle.
Just wondering how I can also handle versioning with this extension.

So for example, in version 1 I might use SQL 2008 R2 SP1

<ExePackage SourceFile="include\SQL2008R2_sp1_x86_ENU.exe Cache="yes">
        <dep:Provides Key="SQL2008" Version="10.50.2500.0"/> </ExePackage>

On my upgrade to version 2, I want to install SQL 2008 R2 sp2 instead for fresh
installs, but just keep it as SQL 2008 SP1 if I'm doing the upgrade (cause it's
good enough). So I made the changes to

<ExePackage SourceFile="include\SQL2008R2_sp2_x86_ENU.exe Cache="yes">
        <dep:Provides Key="SQL2008" Version="10.50.4000.0"/> </ExePackage>

This upgrades works okay in that it doesn't try to install SQL again because my
detectcondition knows that SQL is already installed. It also registers the
dependency so that the package doesn't get uninstalled when the older bundle
gets removed during the upgrade.

The problem is that when you try to uninstall v2, it can't find the setup file
for SQL Server SP2, since it never cached the package. Is there a way to fix
this? So that It knows to use the SP1 package when uninstalling. Or is there a
way to force the sp2 package to be cached even though it doesn't need to be
installed?

Hope this makes sense,

--
Sunny Li