The syntax rules for ComponentGroup and FeatureGroup IDs seem to be fairly
liberal:  just about anything goes, including embedded spaces and
backslashes (i.e., characters that are not allowed in traditional
identifiers).  Of course, $(...) and !(...) are still special and can be
expanded (if valid) by the WiX compiler and linker, respectively.

I'm on WiX 3.5 RTM (3.5.2519.0), and I've been experimenting with
FeatureGroup IDs containing backslashes (modeling a hierarchical breakdown)
with no trouble so far.  For example
"MyProduct\FooLayer\Widget1.OptionalQualifier".

Are groups IDs like this safe to use long-term, or is there a possibility
that backslashes could take on a special meaning in future versions of WiX
(especially the .wixobj and .wixlib formats) and/or a possibility of causing
problems (or security vulnerabilities) in the linker?

Thanks,
Mike