Before NETFX 4.0 came out it was not possible to build assemblies that
targeted NETFX2.0 and beyond. That means, any packages with old managed
custom actions in them that are not updated can fail to install by default
on newer operating systems (where NETFX2.0 is not on by default). It is
difficult to predict what happens with NETFX5.0 or if there is an NETFX5.0.

For example, WiX v2.0 is still used today and it's custom actions continue
to work on current operating systems as well as they did back then.

You can provide mitigations (like make sure your
install/repair/patch/uninstall always happens via a bootstrapper) to get
your NETFX in the correct state before your MSI with managed custom actions
runs.

IMHO, the best way to avoid all the issues is to build native code custom
actions with as few dependencies as possible. Really, the "native" part of
that is just saying "fewer dependencies".

Do as you wish. <smile/> DTF exists for those that want to write managed
custom actions and it will help you do so *correctly* in environments you
control. But if you are doing anything platform-like (such as the WiX
toolset <smile/>) keep in mind the depth of your dependencies because the
world out there is mean and nasty and setup is supposed to fix it.

I really should turn this into a blog entry. <smile/>