Hi,

I am facing an unusual problem with my installer. I will try explain in detail,
may be there is a workaround for this issue.

  1.  The installer is rather large >5GB with a lot of files, mostly data files
used by the application (a separate installer)
  2.  I am using heat to harvest the files with this command
"$(WIX)bin\heat.exe" dir "$(DataFiles)" -cg DataFiles -gg -scom -sreg -sfrag
-srd -dr INSTALLLOCATION -var env.DataFiles -out
"$(ProjectDir)Fragments\FilesFragment.wxs"
  3.  When installing everything is copied and all files are in the right place.

Issue: After copying the files when the MSI registers the product if fails on
some XP machines. Specifically it fails to write this registry key
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\GUID\Features\ProductFeature
 because the data is greater than 1MB. The error reported during this is
unfortunately wrong, registry is full. So the MSI tries to increase the
registry size and tries to rewrite the value which fails and then it gives up.
Researching on this I found that older registry formats didn't allow for values
to be greater than 1MB.

The questions are

  1.  I am guessing this is some sort of hash of the filenames. So how exactly
is this generated? Anyway to control it?
  2.  Is there anyway to reduce the size of the entry so the install would pass?
  3.  Can I specify just the directory for the component and not include all
the files? Would that reduce the size of the registry entry to less than 1MB.

Thanks,
Sarvesh Chinnappa

PRIVILEGE AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
The information in this electronic mail (and any associated attachments) is
intended for the named recipient(s) only and may contain privileged and
confidential information. If you have received this message in error, you are
hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying or alteration of this message
is strictly prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient(s), please
message.  Thank you.