I am attempting to bring an extra layer of automation to my area of concern and
have chosen to start packaging up each of our services into .msi files for
easier deployment and configuration.  Part of getting started is figuring out
the best way to implement WIX installers into our build system without causing
impact on the developers.  My initial thought was to add wix projects to the
various solutions we have in source control, check in all of the WIX binaries
as mentioned in the WIX manual so the CruiseControl powered build system can
see them.  I have set a post-build step in one of their C# Projects to run
Heat.exe and spit out a files.wxs file that contains all of their output, and
filter it through a transform.xsl to add in the ServiceControl elements and
strip out all of the useless garbage that should not be installed.

The problem with this is that it's going to cause the devs to have an issue
with opening the solution and having that one .wixproj project fail to open,
throwing up a pop-up and somewhat disrupting their flow.

Is there a way to give them just the VS2012 plugin so the .wixproj type is
recognized, or should I just stay out of their solution files and find some
other way to run heat to harvest their output and go on to build the .msi file?

Is there some other approach that has been proven to work well when the person
creating and maintaining the installer creation and deployment processes is not
a direct member of the development team?

Thank you,

~David Drake
CES Build Engineer
david.dr...@wizards.com<mailto:david.dr...@wizards.com>