I don't think the installer ever puts Wix into the GAC, which is by design.  If
you've put some of the Wix binaries in the GAC, I could see that leading to all
kinds of strange issues.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tunney, Stephen [mailto:stephen.tun...@nuance.com]
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2013 10:21 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Purely WiX Patching when a patch family consists of
component groups across multiple cabs

Ok, working through my own issues here.  Starting to use MELT for fixing my
wixpdb issues as per:
http://www.joyofsetup.com/2013/07/16/easy-pure-wix-patching-with-melt/

Now I am getting an error in melt.exe.  Looks like a path issue or WiX DLLs not
being added to the GAC for some reason.  Copying files from the SDK folder to
the bin folder have resolved this issue but this is likely a bug in 3.7's
installer.

melt.exe "V1.0.msi" -out ".\RTM.wixpdb" -pdb "V1.0.wixpdb" -x .\RMTBinaries
Windows Installer Xml Melter version 3.7.1224.0 Copyright (C) Outercurve
Foundation. All rights reserved.

melt.exe : error MELT0001 : Could not load file or assembly
'Microsoft.Deploymen t.Compression, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKeyToken=ce35f76fcda82bad ' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot
find the file specified.

Exception Type: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Melt.MeltProduct()
   at Microsoft.Tools.WindowsInstallerXml.Tools.Melt.Run(String[] args)