From: Nicolás Alvarez [mailto:nicolas.alva...@gmail.com]
Sent: November-03-13 3:22 PM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Environment Variable Changes by MSI are not reflected

2013/11/1 Phil Wilson <phildgwil...@gmail.com>:
>  If there's a way to avoid using PATH, try to find it and use it.
> There are always issues with that, not only install and uninstall but
> corruption, files and Dlls being picked up from the wrong directory and so on.

I concur.

I had problems during development with an application failing to start, saying
a DLL of a wrong architecture was being loaded. It turns out an Intel Wi-Fi
driver (or whatever OEM crapware it was, but it was definitely from Intel) adds
its program folder to the PATH, and there's a 64-bit zlib1.dll in there.

That's just one of half a dozen directories the Intel crapware added to my
PATH. Just because the big guys are doing it doesn't make it right.

--
Nicolás