At one time at MSFT (don't know if it is still the case) the machine that did
codesigning for (most? all?) teams worldwide was solely located in (IIRC)
Puerto Rico, and the files had to be securely electronically transported there,
signed, and securely transported back, by a system owned by the group managing
production signing (despite most build servers being in Redmond, Washington).
Direct access to the signtool tool wasn't of any use in that case.

At my current client, there is no "official" signing in any build leg that
developers have direct access to. You tell them where your files are and they
sign them. They sign everything before the "packaging" step of the build, but
they have to "script" signing things that are "contained" by other things built
during packaging, like external cabs any everything we stick into a bundle.

Seems like everyone does it differently. Maybe we should take a poll to see if
there is any one "majority" way that we could optimize for, but even inside of
MSFT it had to be done differently for "production" signing and "internal
only-test" signing.

-Blair