In some ways the ICE error reflects the fact that you are trying to deal
with two separate things here, one for the user and one for the service.

The service doesn't need a shortcut. It needs only the ProductCode
somewhere in the registry where it can find it, and frankly I wouldn't use
msiexec.exe I'd use the actual API because you're writing code there, not
typing commands into a command prompt. Use MsiConfigureProduct
(...INSTALLSTATE_ABSENT).  You may need to set the UI level to nothing to
avoid showing UI from a service - use MsiSetInternalUI before you do the
uninstall. So put that ProductID somewhere away from the shortcut
component.

The shortcut component can then be a bona fide user shortcut built to avoid
the ICE error.

Phil Wilson