"runas" seems to be useless for installer purposes.
For one:  I can't have a console window pop up where a user is forced to
enter their password.
Second: It may run as a particular user, but not with *all* of their
privileges, i.e. not as an Administrator.

I'll make it an open challenge.. I've spent a couple days trying.  If
anyone could confirm one way or the other, if it is possible or impossible
to create a symbolic link from an installer with nothing more than the
usually UAC prompt appearing.

Note that if you run msiexec as an administrator (from a "Run as
Administrator" command prompt), then everything works.  Obviously that
totally ruins the user experience and goes against the whole point of UAC.
 What is so scary about symbolic links that this is a privileged operation
anyway??!  It's particularly mysterious since once the symbolic link is
created your don't need any special privileges to delete it!

Regards,

Scott