We,, I finally got the WiX installer to produce an *.msi file. I was ready to
break out the champagne!

However, I tried to install this program on my computer and got the
following error:

This installation package could not be opened. Contact the application
vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

I got the installer to generate an *.msi file by adding the line:

xmlns:bal="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/WixBalExtension";

to a new line below the line: bal:WixStandardBootstrapperApplication

(see above WiX xml code)

So, this xmlns:bal definition line appears 2 times in the code now (see
above WiX script for original line). This extra line did generate some
additional errors, but I was able to resolve those. It didn't know where the
license.rtf file was, so I set it to a Microsoft one on the C:\ drive
somewhere. I guess that it should be my license.rtf, covering my program.

WixBalExtension is covered off as a Reference in my WiX installation project
that is part of my solution. So, I guess that it is actually defined 3 times
- twice in the WiX xml code, and once in the Visual Studio code.

The *.msi file seems to be about the size of the dotnetfx35.exe file (about
238 MB), which it should be, as my program compiles into a standalone msi
file of only about 500 kB.

Should I have set the dotnetfx35.exe file pointer to the dotnetfx35setup.exe
instead? It is only about 2 MB, but probably calls the exe file to install
everything, or perhaps tries to go to the Internet to get the dotnetfx35.exe
file. Is my condition in the Fragment right for doing a conditional install?
Perhaps that is the problem?

So, instead of the champagne, I just had a coffee!

Any suggestions on how I might make this work would be appreciated.

Al Ferguson