From: Scott Moyer [mailto:scott.mo...@appliedvision.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 13, 2014 9:44 AM
To: General discussion about the WiX toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Bootstrapper question

What is the recommended way for MSIs to communicate with each other?

For example, the Bootstrapper executes a chain of MSIs where the first MSI
displays a custom dialog which sets a property according to what radio button
the user selected. Later, depending on the user's selection in the MSI's
dialog, the Bootstrapper needs to select one of two different third party MSIs.

Would the correct way to do this be to put the custom dialog up in the
Bootstrapper?

I guess another option would be to copy and rename the correct third party MSI
to, say Generic.msi, so the Bootstrapper could just execute Generic.msi without
having to make a decision (yuk).

Please let me know your thoughts on this, as maybe I am way off base.
(The reason for all this is that I am trying to port a 15-year old evolution of
a monster application from InstallShield 6.0 to WiX, and am just learning
WiX/MSI. Just started working here and this is my first assignment:)

Thanks in advance.