Thank you Jacob for your reply; I appreciate that.

Let me give a bit more background and clarify my quandary.
Perhaps this will help with more specific suggestions. Here it goes.

I have a Wix setup that works exactly the way I wanted. The
installation is for a Web Application Project (WAP) and everything is based on
Visual Studio 2013.

-
The Wix setup harvests all the published WAP
files with a pre-processor command and builds the MSI output.

-
The MSI does everything I wanted – with a number
of Custom Dialogs complemented with Custom Actions (CAs) code for such tasks as
checking if an SQL instance exists; creating a database; listing existing
websites so that the user can choose which website to install to as a web
application; allowing the user choose an alternative installation directory;
modify
config.web as required, etc., with registry search and directory search are
also used as part of XML programming. So, as far as a single MSI goes, I am
quite confident to tackle the wix setup programming successfully as highlighted
by my MSI resume listed in the preceding lines.

-
Then I needed Administrator elevation for my MSI
installer as most of the configuration tasks require privileged access for
per-machine installation (IIS, SQL, folders, etc). One way to do this is to
start a Command Prompt with Admin privilege and then run MSI. In fact, I
included
a conditional message (based on the Privileged Wix built-in variable) to guide
the user as such if MSI is clicked at Windows level.  This approach didn’t look
elegant and
setupbld.exe provided an easy answer – an exe version was generated that
prompted the user to run as an administrator (for instance the right-click Run
As).

-
To sum up, so far everything was great with no
problems, that’s up to Wix v3.7.

-
Then came wix v3.8 but then setupbld.exe was
laid to rest. With v3.8 I couldn't obviously do the setupbld.exe simple
transformation
I did in v3.7. But I was prepared to learn the equivalent of setupbld.exe with
Burn Bootstrapper as I can see the many benefits with the Bootstrapper approach
(installing prerequisites, multiple MSI, and so on).

-
This could now be a wrong assumption, but I
assumed I could _reuse_ my wix setup experience to do the equivalent of
setupbld.exe, such as bringing the custom dialogs in MSI (highlighted above) to
the bootstrapper front-end  -- hence the
premise for my original question of if Custom Dialogs and localized strings can
be used here as in wix setup.

-
In summary, attempting to emulate a rather
simplistic setupbld.exe transformation of my MSI seems to be presenting itself
as a huge programming adventure, or am I missing something obvious? If more
effort is required for this, I can always go back to v3.7 for an existing
installer but I really want to learn (be it as a side-line) how to replace
setupbld.exe in the scenario I have just described.

I should I approach this?

 Please forgive the rather lengthy prose – this is in the
interest of clarifying my problem with some detail.

Dan