Is your MSI per-machine?

 FireGiant  |  Dedicated support for the WiX toolset  |
http://www.firegiant.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Phill Hogland [mailto:phogl...@rimage.com]
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:21 PM
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] advertised install and user permissions

I have a bundle with a number of msi pacakges, one of which has a feature which
is advertised.  Recently (probably because I changed something in the
authoring) I am noticing a behavior where if I install the bundle, then after
that completes successfully, click on the advertised shortcut, then the
advertised package is installed.  But the change in behaviour is that one of
the registry keys produces a warning that the user does not have the correct
permissions to write to that key.  (The key location is in HKLM.)

If I run the bundle again selecting 'repair' (with a verbose log) there is no
warning and the key is written successfully.  When the bundle launches the
package the ALLUSERS is 1.  Even though I am using InstallerVersion='500' and
testing on Windows 8 x64, when I have
MsiLogging=v* I don't get any additional information from the log produced by
the advertised portion of the install, which only indicates that it failed to
write this specific key.

Can someone help my understand the problem and advise on the best approach for
a situation were I want the install to be per-machine and I need to write to
HKLM.  Should I just disallow the advertised feature, or is there something
else I should do?

Thanks for the assistance!