I ran into a weird issue that I can't seem to figure out, hopefully someone
has an idea.

My issue happens only when doing a minor upgrade from an older version to a
newer version of my product. The failure lines from the log look like this:

MSI (s) (1C:3C) [23:17:21:084]: Note: 1: 2228 2:  3: Error 4: SELECT
`Message` FROM `Error` WHERE `Error` = 2911
DEBUG: Error 2911:  Could not remove the folder C:\Config.Msi\.
MSI (s) (1C:3C) [23:17:21:084]: Note: 1: 2318 2:
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package.
This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2911. The
arguments are: C:\Config.Msi\, ,

There was a change to the wxs between those two versions, and if I undo the
change then upgrade works fine again. However, I cannot figure out how to
get it so the upgrade works fine with the change. Fresh install works fine
with the change, it's only upgrade that fails.

The change is pretty trivial: I added a Directory entry to the list of
directories, and a corresponding Component with RemoveFolder entry. There
was another directory on the same level already for which I did the exact
same thing, so it's basically just copy and paste and changing the
directory identifier. Note that the directory I added is actually created
by the app already (also in the lower version), I only added it so my
custom action can blow the directory away during uninstall.

The closest match to my issue that I could find is this one:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/21242963/wix-installer-uninstalls-but-not-installs-if-previous-version-is-installed

I also have a custom action but it is only run at uninstall. The log
clearly shows that the action was not run because its condition evaluated
to false.

Any ideas what might be going on here?

// Sascha