What you're describing is vaguely similar to how we do things. There's a
single server in each of our locations that contains MSIs that are
installed on other systems in that location across the network.

I just package the client MSIs in a bigger MSI, and install the "bigger
MSI" on the server. WindowsInstaller treats the "client MSIs" just like any
other file and puts them in place.

The clients then pull their MSIs from the server.

Our scenario is slightly different than yours, in that we don't ever
install the "client MSIs" on the "server."