On Fri, 2 Apr 2010, Johann Haarhoff wrote:

 > I made a mockup of what I am aiming for in the cairo branch (in terms of
 > WINGs): http://imgur.com/wJPga.png

nice, very nice! i (mostly) like it!

 > I have not convinced myself about the triangles in the drop-down lists yet,
 > but luckily I have plenty of work before I have to make a decision.

the triangles i don't like in this form. it's not that they are
triangles, but they look... strange. i *think* it's because of the
shadows. try this: http://dawn.dev.hu/~ice/tmp/wingdrop.png

the first two have most of the shadows removed, the third a bit less,
the fourth a bit less less, and the bottom one is the original.

upon closer look i think that your way makes the triangle "lift off"
from the surface, whereas removing a bit of the shadow makes more like
beveled than taking off.

 > I tried to stay close to the Next look, but yet make things a bit more
 > modern. Too much?

certainly not. i don't quite understand what's wrong with the original
slider, but if the one in your mockup is the trendy today, i can live
with that.

apart from this (and this isn't a "not like", but a "don't understand,
but don't oppose") and that the triangles need a tiny bit of a
touch-up, full marks.

--
[-]

mkdir /nonexistent