On Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:19:42 +0100, Martin Dietze wrote:
On Fri, February 24, 2012, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:

Is possible to propose a patch rewritting wm scripts (like wmaker.inst)
from BASH to Perl?

Possible? Certainly.

Why? BASH is harder to maintain, more erro prone. All the time there is a
need for hacks.

I disagree. For simple, file system centric tasks, shell scripts
are just the technology of choice. Just about anybody familiar
with Unix systems can deal with Bourne shell code.

Having taken a quick look at the current wmaker.inst code I
think that it is fairly readable. I cannot see any improvement
that could result from rewriting it in Perl apart from
introducing new bugs.

About the wmaker scripts, why don't integrate the wmaker.inst script as in debian?

In debian, the /usr/bin/wmaker is an script. This script checks if the user has the GNUstep folder. If the folder exists, then launch /usr/share/WindowMaker/wmaker (binary), else, copy the GNUstep default files and then launch the wmaker binary.

IMHO this option is better than print to the user that wmaker is not installed in the home folder, and that he must run wmaker.inst

And we don't need make things, because the script is already created, only change some things in the Makefile install part.

Cheers.