Hello Martin,

On Sat, Mar 21, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Martin Dietze <mdie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 March 2015 at 01:12, Chris F.A. Johnson <ch...@cfajohnson.com> wrote:
>
>> What does catrand do? Can it not be done with standard tools, e.g. awk?
>>
>> And that is almost always the wrong way to loop through filenames.
>> Done properly, you don't need to worry about spaces in filenames:
>
> Oh, I answered this quesion already in my initial posting:

I thought that I missed something here, so I downloaded the catrand
source and had a look (didn't bother with publib).
But isn't that all achieved with `sort -R`?

While I agree somewhat of trying to stay "independent" of things like
bashisms, I would never choose to depend on a piece of software that I
wrote, that needs to be compiled and further depends on non-standard
library... what is the chance of that being on random system X
(assuming /me != Linus_Torvalds||Randal_Swartz, LoL)
Or do you have this randcat installed everywhere you login?

A quick and dirty one-liner, with bashism, disregarding
stretching/cropping, for my 2 desktops (change head -n part):

i=0; for D in $(find ~GNUstep/Library/WindowMaker/Backgrounds/ -type f
|sort -R |head -n2); do wmsetbg -w ${i} "${D}"; i=$(($i+1)); done

(if one wants to use symlinks, -type l instead)

Cheers,
Kalin.